What is Cellucor C4 Ripped?
Cellucor C4 Ripped provides all of the benefits of the original C4 formula with an extra thermogenic boost for those of you who are also trying to get lean and focus on muscle definition or overall fat burning. While not the best thermogenic supplement out there, it’s important to remember that C4 Ripped is a pre-workout first and a thermogenic booster second.
Why You Should Use Cellucor C4 Ripped
C4 Ripped is a solid pre-workout featuring a unique energy blend. It provides you with caffeine anhydrous, velvet bean, and N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine. It does not feature TeaCor, a special form of caffeine found in the original formula, and this is surprising considering the energy and thermogenic benefits of the ingredient. C4 Mass does feature this ingredient. With that said, C4 Ripped still captures the energy boosting benefits of the original formula.
If your goal is energy first and fat burning second, then C4 Ripped is going to be an excellent choice. It contains a fat burning blend featuring scientifically proven ingredients that can promote a higher level of fat burning. Green tea extract, l-carnitine, and capsicum are the stars of this list, being found to promote a higher metabolic rate that supports fat burning.
Things to Watch Out for With Cellucor C4 Ripped
Despite having a thermogenic formula that contains some hard-hitting fat burners, it’s important to note the dosage of C4 Ripped. There just isn’t enough of the fat burning ingredients to be as effective as if you were taking those ingredients on their own at the proper dosage level. Sure, you’ll be supporting your metabolic rate but not nearly at the level you would if you were taking 1 gram of capsicum on its own, for example.
As mentioned above, C4 Ripped is a pre-workout first and a fat burner second. It should be looked at as a way to increase performance and be a complement to a fat burning diet. If you’re expecting C4 Ripped to be some magic bullet, you are going to be disappointed.
What is Cellucor C4 Mass?
Cellucor C4 Mass is the brand’s attempt to cater a pre-workout to the mass building crowd. Cellucor has added a carbohydrate blend to the mix as those who are going through a bulking phase will have a much higher carbohydrate consumption each day. Used as directed, Cellucor C4 Mass can become a helpful tool to complement your bulking diet and training program.
Why You Should Use Cellucor C4 Mass
If you are serious about trying to add mass, then C4 Mass may be a great pre-workout to utilize. It’s important to remember that it is a pre-workout, not a mass gainer. Rather, it is a form of mass building support but it is NOT a mass gainer.
In terms of energy boosting, one of the ways in which C4 Mass may be superior to C4 Ripped is the inclusion of TeaCor. This is a form of caffeine that provides all of the energy boosting effective of caffeine without the caffeine-related jitters. When paired with caffeine anhydrous, TeaCor is even more effective, boosting your energy levels while taming any fight-or-flight anxiousness. However, this really comes down to preference as some people may respond really well to TeaCor while others get more energy from a combination of energy boosters and thermogenics like you find with C4 Ripped.
Things to Watch Out for With Cellucor C4 Mass
Cellucor C4 Mass contains polydextrose, which is considered fibre; however, there is a clear difference between a fibre-rich food and a chemical additive. Unfortunately, the FDA does not differentiate one fibre from another. While polydextrose may be useful for a bulking diet, it’s important that you understand this is not going to count towards your daily recommended fibre intake. You should focus on fibre-rich whole foods and not depend on a pre-workout supplement as your source of fibre for the day.
Which Supplement Should You Choose?
C4 Ripped and C4 Mass are both pre-workouts but they are geared towards two completely different crowds. Both are powerful energy boosters so in that regard they are equally useful. If you follow a bulking and cutting cycle during the appropriate seasons, then we would recommend getting both as you can use C4 Mass while bulking up and you can use C4 Ripped when you want to focus on leaning out.
- Spradley BD, Crowley KR, Tai C-Y, et al. Ingesting a pre-workout supplement containing caffeine, B-vitamins, amino acids, creatine, and beta-alanine before exercise delays fatigue while improving reaction time and muscular endurance. Nutrition & Metabolism. 2012;9:28. doi:10.1186/1743-7075-9-28.
- Westerterp-Plantenga MS, Lejeune MP, Kovacs EM. Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation. Obes Res. 2005 Jul;13(7):1195-204.
- F. L. Dodd, D. O. Kennedy, L. M. Riby, and C. F. Haskell-Ramsay. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effects of caffeine and L-theanine both alone and in combination on cerebral blood flow, cognition and mood. Psychopharmacology. 2015; 232(14): 2563–2576. Published online 2015 Mar 13.
- Kuhman, Daniel J., Keanan J. Joyner, and Richard J. Bloomer. “Cognitive Performance and Mood Following Ingestion of a Theacrine-Containing Dietary Supplement, Caffeine, or Placebo by Young Men and Women.” Nutrients 7.11 (2015): 9618–9632. PMC. Web. 2 Aug. 2017.
- Brandsch C, Eder K. Effect of L-carnitine on weight loss and body composition of rats fed a hypocaloric diet. Ann Nutr Metab. 2002;46(5):205-10.
- Lejeune MP, Kovacs EM, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Effect of capsaicin on substrate oxidation and weight maintenance after modest body-weight loss in human subjects. Br J Nutr. 2003 Sep;90(3):651-59.