Think about the supplements you commonly use. There's a really good chance you have protein and a pre-workout sitting on the shelf in your kitchen. What about a nitric oxide booster? Have you even heard of this type of supplement?
Nitric oxide boosters are primarily used by experienced lifters with a specific goal in mind. Bodybuilders, for example, may use nitric oxide boosters to achieve a better 'pump' and vascular gains. However, nitric oxide boosters may be appropriate for a number of health and fitness goals. Let's review what nitric oxide supplements are and how they may be able to help you achieve your ideal physique.
What is Nitric Oxide?
As soon as you see the term 'nitric oxide,' you may immediately think of the gas given to you at the dentist's office. Sure, that's one example but in this case of fitness, we are talking about a compound found within the body that may promote a number of different processes.
In the case of exercise, the compound nitric oxide may support blood flow and oxygen delivery to skeletal muscle. Elevated levels of nitric oxide may also play a part in reducing inflammation, boosting recovery, and removing lactic acid build-up post-workout.
How Do You Increase Nitric Oxide Levels?
Exercise is hands-down the best way to naturally boost the body's nitric oxide levels; however, supplements are now being used to help as well. Nitric Oxide supplements contain proven ingredients that may trigger a spike in nitric oxide levels, thereby promoting a series of fitness-related benefits as mentioned above.
What is a Nitric Oxide Supplement?
A nitric oxide supplement, often referred to as an N.O. Booster, is made up of several compounds that may be able to naturally boost nitric oxide levels in the blood, if only for a short while.
This temporary boost will help to support a number of benefits including the following:
The Classic 'Pump'
- Those using a quality N.O. Booster always report an increased 'pump' during exercise. This is when the blood swells in the working muscle, promoting a pumped-up feeling that may be accompanied by increased vascularity.
Strength and Recovery
- Some studies report that a quality nitric oxide booster may be able to boost blood flow and oxygen delivery to skeletal muscle. As a result, this may help promote more strength intra-workout followed by increased recovery post-workout.
Lactic Acid and Inflammation
- When using an N.O. Booster, you may experience less soreness. This is because increased levels of nitric oxide may support an enhanced removal of lactic acid, thereby, decreasing inflammation and soreness. (1-2)
What are the Best Nitric Oxide Boosting Ingredients?
There are hundreds of supplements but not all of them contain the proven ingredients that have been the subject of study and trials. The most popular and used N.O. boosting ingredients are the following:
- AAKG (Arginine Alpha-ketoglutarate)
What are Some of the Best Brands of N.O. Boosters?
Some of the bestselling and most widely used brands of N.O. Boosters include the following:
- Primaforce AAKG
- GAT JetFuse NOX
- MAX's Lab Series Creobol
Check out the full collection of nitric oxide supplements here.
- Bescós R, Sureda A, Tur JA, Pons A. The effect of nitric-oxide-related supplements on human performance. Sports Med. 2012 Feb 1;42(2):99-117.
- Álvares TS, Meirelles CM, Bhambhani YN, Paschoalin VM, Gomes PS. L-Arginine as a potential ergogenic aid in healthy subjects. Sports Med. 2011 Mar 1;41(3):233-48.