Next to building muscle mass, the quest to lose weight and burn fat is the most popular fitness goal. Shedding excess weight and extra adipose tissue doesn’t just help you look good, it’s also been shown to be great for your health. Excess adipose tissue has been associated with higher levels of cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure.
If weight loss is at the top of your fitness goals, supplementation, as a part of a healthy diet and exercise program, may be able to promote a higher level of fat burning. Let’s take a look at the top 3 supplement ingredients that you need to use to burn more fat and achieve your weight loss goals.
Hands down, one of the most popular fat burning ingredients, L-Carnitine has been proven time and time again to be effective at supporting weight loss.
L-Carnitine encourages the use of fat as energy by helping it into the mitochondria of a cell. Once inside, the mitochondria will burn the fat as a fuel source.
L-Carnitine has also been suggested to be an effective anti-inflammatory. Not only can it promote fat burning but it may also alleviate inflammation in joints, especially if you often feel stiff or sore post-workout. (1-3)
- Suggested dosage: 4 grams per day
Is your goal to burn extra calories?
Want to also build muscle?
Need to protect your current level of muscle while losing weight?
CLA may be the perfect supplement for you.
Conjugated Linoleic Acid, more commonly known as CLA, has been shown in a number of studies to support fat loss AND muscle building.
CLA is suggested to support fat burning and long-term weight loss. While it is promoting weight loss, it can also be a powerful ally to muscle tissue. It does so by helping with protein synthesis in the body. This, in turn, will help prevent protein catabolism, or the breakdown of muscle tissue. Protein synthesis can also be helpful when trying to increase muscular size. (4-6)
- Suggested dosage: 5 grams per day
Last but certainly not least, we have guarana. This is a potent herbal remedy that has been used in the Amazonian jungles for hundreds of years as a communal drink that promotes overall health. Science has finally shed light on the benefits of guarana with the most popular being energy boosting and weight loss support.
Guarana has been shown in several studies to be as effective as caffeine when it comes to energy levels. For those who are caffeine sensitive, guarana may be the next best thing as it doesn’t include the characteristic anxiety that comes with caffeine use.
On top of more energy, guarana has been suggested to improve cognitive ability by boosting focus and alertness.
Finally, guarana may be able to promote an elevated metabolic response that support overall weight loss. (7-8)
- Suggested dosage: 700 milligrams per day
Taken as a part of a healthy diet and exercise program, L-Carnitine, CLA, and Guarana may be the powerful trio you need to see better weight loss results. Want to save money and find all three of these ingredients in one place? Make your own supplement!
With the Amino Z Supplement Builder, you can create your own supplement with the ideal dosages suggested above. Check out the Amino Z Supplement Builder now to get started on your perfect fat burning supplement.
- Brandsch C, Eder K. Effect of L-carnitine on weight loss and body composition of rats fed a hypocaloric diet. Ann Nutr Metab. 2002;46(5):205-10.
- Malek Mahdavi A, Mahdavi R, Kolahi S. Effects of l-Carnitine Supplementation on Serum Inflammatory Factors and Matrix Metalloproteinase Enzymes in Females with Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. J Am Coll Nutr. 2016 Sep-Oct;35(7):597-603. Epub 2016 Mar 2.
- Smeland OB, Meisingset TW, Borges K, Sonnewald U. Chronic acetyl-L-carnitine alters brain energy metabolism and increases noradrenaline and serotonin content in healthy mice. Neurochem Int. 2012 Jul;61(1):100-7. doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2012.04.008. Epub 2012.
- Whigham LD, Watras AC, Schoeller DA. Efficacy of conjugated linoleic acid for reducing fat mass: a meta-analysis in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 May;85(5):1203-11.
- Vaughan RA, Garcia-Smith R, Bisoffi M, Conn CA, Trujillo KA. Conjugated linoleic acid or omega 3 fatty acids increase mitochondrial biosynthesis and metabolism in skeletal muscle cells. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11:142.
- DeLany, James P., et al. (1999). Conjugated linoleic acid rapidly reduces body fat content in mice without affecting energy intake. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology276, 4, R1172-R1179.
- Kennedy DO, Haskell CF, Wesnes KA, Scholey AB. Improved cognitive performance in human volunteers following administration of guarana (Paullinia cupana) extract: comparison and interaction with Panax ginseng. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2004 Nov;79(3):401-11.
- Moustakas D, Mezzio M, Rodriguez BR, Constable MA, Mulligan ME, Voura EB. Guarana Provides Additional Stimulation over Caffeine Alone in the Planarian Model. Holscher C, ed. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(4):e0123310. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0123310.