If there's one protein brand that stands out in the world of bodybuilding, it's International Protein. Offering supplements designed with bodybuilders in mind, International Protein has been allowing bodybuilding hopefuls to get closer to the stage. Two of the brand's most popular products have been the subject of debate. Let's take a look at International Protein Amino Charged WPI and International Protein Synergy 5 to see which one is the better protein by this famous brand.
International Protein Synergy 5
Where can I buy it?
- Click here to buy International Protein Synergy 5.
Pros of International Protein Synergy 5
As the name implies, International Protein Synergy 5 contains five types of protein, all with varying degrees of digestive speed. The rate of digestion is important when it comes to your goals of muscle building as the slower a protein breaks down, the more amino acids it will release into the muscle tissue. Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle tissue and they are key to an efficient recovery post-workout. Studies suggest that the amino acids found within this variety of protein may be able to promote lean muscle growth and an efficient recovery. (1-6)
We were really impressed with the protein blend found within International Protein Synergy 5 as it hits all ends of the protein spectrum, offering 32 grams per serving. Here's a breakdown of type and digestion speed:
Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate
- Digestion Speed: Fastest
Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)
- Digestion Speed: Fast
Whey Protein Concentrate
- Digestion Speed: Average
- Digestion Speed: Slow
- Digestion Speed: Slowest
This is going to ensure you are getting muscle supporting amino acids for hours as opposed to just a quick shot.
Cons of International Protein Synergy 5
Aside from the use of artificial sweeteners and thickeners, we couldn't find anything wrong with International Protein Synergy 5. This is high quality protein that allows for an extended release of amino acids for hours. It's an ideal supplement to start your day or prepare for a workout.
International Protein Amino Charged WPI
Where can I buy it?
- Click here to buy International Protein Amino Charged WPI.
Pros of International Protein Amino Charged WPI
We are big believers in post-workout nutrition as this is when the body is primed and ready to go to take in the nutrients needed for results. Most lifters use a standard whey protein isolate and while this is great, there is a better option. This is where International Protein Amino Charged WPI comes in.
International Protein Amino Charged WPI is an elite quality whey protein isolate that also contains hydrolyzed peptides and amino acids. This is important because you're getting three high quality forms of muscle building nutrients. WPI, hydrolyzed peptides, and amino acids are all fast-acting nutrients that may be able to boost recovery, support muscle gains, and promote your fitness goals. (1-6)
The unique thing about International Protein Amino Charged WPI is that it contains a fermented version of L-Glutamine as well as L-Arginine. This provides an ideal combination of muscle building nutrients, making it an ideal post-workout treat.
Cons of International Protein Amino Charged WPI
It may come as no surprise but there's not much we can say against International Protein Amino Charged WPI. International Protein is a very high quality brand that is targeted towards a bodybuilding market. This means that aside from the usual sweeteners, International Protein strives for elite quality.
What you have here is two incredible protein supplements. The problem is that they are often compared when there really is no room for comparison. Synergy 5 is a protein supplement that can be used throughout the day while Amino Charged WPI is ideal as a post-workout supplement. Both will support your fitness goals and, if it's possible, they should be purchased together. Use Synergy 5 as a meal replacement, a pre-workout, or a bed-time treat. Use Amino Charged WPI during or right after a workout.
- Tsutsumi R, Tsutsumi YM. Peptides and proteins in whey and their benefits for human health. Austin J Nutri Food Sci 2014;1(1): 1002
- Blomstrand E, Eliasson J, Karlsson HK, Köhnke R. Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise. J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):269S-73S.
- Norton, Layne, Layman, Donald. Leucine Regulates Translation Initiation of Protein Synthesis in Skeletal Muscle after Exercise. J. Nutr. February 2006 vol. 136 no. 2 533S-537S.
- Negro M, Giardina S, Marzani B, Marzatico F. Branched-chain amino acid supplementation does not enhance athletic performance but affects muscle recovery and the immune system. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2008 Sep;48(3):347-51.
- Mourier A, Bigard AX, de Kerviler E, Roger B, Legrand H, Guezennec CY. Combined effects of caloric restriction and branched-chain amino acid supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in elite wrestlers. Int J Sports Med. 1997 Jan;18(1):47-55.
- De Lorenzo A, Petroni ML, Masala S, Melchiorri G, Pietrantuono M, Perriello G, Andreoli A. Effect of acute and chronic branched-chain amino acids on energy metabolism and muscle performance. Diabetes Nutr Metab. 2003 Oct-Dec;16(5-6):291-7.