Being healthy and eating delicious food has never been this exciting! Indulge with these heart friendly puffy looking savoy cabbage leaves stuffed with tuna and smothered with a very tasty red sauce. Tuna is an excellent source of lean protein, vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids while olive oil is a polyunsaturated fat which can help reduce cholesterol levels. The red sauce is low in saturated fat and cholesterol and is a good source of Vitamin A, C and E. All of these give the benefit of reducing risks of coronary heart diseases. So treat yourself and excite your palate while managing your weight.
For Cabbage Wrapper:
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Cut the stem and the core from the cabbage.
- Plunge the cabbage into the water.
- Cook the leaves in the boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Gently remove the loosened leaves.
- Plunge them into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Pat the leaves dry.
- Continue until all of the large leaves have been blanched and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute garlic and onions.
- Add the flaked tuna to the pan.
- Cook with a spatula until browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the tuna mixture to a large bowl.
- Place 4 tablespoon tuna mixture on the bottom stem portion of a cabbage leaf, leaving about a 1-inch border.
- Wrap the leaf, from the stem border, over the filling. Fold in the sides.
- Continue wrapping until all of the leaves and filling have been used.
- Arrange in a saucepan.
- In a bowl, add enough water to tomato paste just enough to cover entire pot of stuffed cabbage for cooking. Combine the tomato paste with brown sugar and lemon juice. You may adjust these ingredient proportions to taste.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture over rolls and simmer for 1 hour.