This extremely delicious low-calorie carrot soup is an excellent source of your daily vitamin A. Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds, and the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotenes. The antioxidant compounds help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer and also promote good vision.
- Place the water and salt in a 3-quart saucepan, and bring to boil.
- Add the carrots, potato, and onion, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Puree the vegetables with the cooking water in an electric blender or food processor.
- Return the puree to the saucepan.
- Add the pepper, and the basil if used, and reheat, uncovered, to serving temperature.
- Stir in the butter just before serving.