This version of polenta is very light and creamy, it is made of cornmeal, fat-free cream cheese, skim milk and herbs. Polenta is made from coarsely ground cornmeal and is a staple of Northern Italy. It makes a wonderful side dish for roast beef or poultry. It is low in fat, easy to make and absolutely delicious!
1. Bring water to a boil in a large heavy pot. Add milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Take cornmeal by the handful and add to water-milk mixture very slowly, controlling the flow to a thin stream through your fingers.
3. To avoid lumps, stir quickly with a long handled wooden spoon while adding cornmeal. Cook while stirring constantly, about 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Polenta will become very thick while cooking. It is done when it comes away cleanly from the sides of the pot.
5. Stir in cream cheese and herbs.
5. Pour polenta into a large platter.
6. Serve hot and covered with your favorite sauce (optional).