This treat contains no sugar other than the natural sugar of the fruit juice. It's also a great way to make use of overripe cantaloupe. This wonder fruit is highlly concentrated with excellent levels of beta-carotene, folic acid, potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. It is extremely nutrient-packed but yet has very low calories because this recipe uses Splenda and skim milk. A refreshing ending to a light lunch or dinner during the summer with this healthy sherbet recipe!
1. Place cantaloupe and 1 cup milk in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
2. In a large saucepan, combine Splenda and remaining milk. Sprinkle gelatin and let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is complete dissolved.
3. Stir in the salt, lime juice and pureed cantaloupe.
4. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Cover and freeze until partially frozen, about 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Place cantaloupe mixture in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
6. Cover and freeze until almost frozen, about 1 hour.
7. Scoop into dessert cups and garnish with mint leaves (optional).
8. Serve immediately and enjoy.