Women are fast making a name for themselves in the bodybuilding realm. What used to be considered a men's domain is becoming an equal opportunity field. One aspect which will help the ladies get a leg up on the competition is bodybuilding supplements.
Here are some noteworthy bodybuilding supplements for women:
1. Whey protein-whey protein is protein obtained from whey, a by-product of cheese manufactured from cow's milk. In processing whey protein, the water, fat and other substances are removed. The final product is essentially 90% protein and 1% fat.
Whey protein owns the distinction of being a perfect and complete protein which is rapidly absorbed by the muscles, making it an excellent pre and post-workout supplement choice. It also has high amounts of the branch chain amino acid (BCAA) leucine which is critical in muscle healing and growth.
This supplement also becomes critical when considering women's bodies having a tendency to store more fat than men's. Protein supplements such as whey are able to slow the fat deposit in their bodies whilst improving lean muscle mass. A high level of protein in the muscles supplied by whey results in burning of more calories and ultimately fat loss.
2. Creatine-creatine is a naturally occurring amino acid that's found in meat and fish, and also made by the human body in the liver, kidneys and pancreas. It is converted into creatine phosphate or phosphocreatine and stored in the muscles, where it is used for energy.
Female bodybuilders primarily resort to creatine in order to gain shape. This is because creatine provides additional energy and allows an individual to work out for a longer duration which ultimately result in muscle growth.
Creatine supplementation will result in volumisation of muscles due to some water retention and more mass. The more accustomed the body is to creatine supplementation, the accumulated water levels will go down over time.
3. Glutamine-glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. Total body glutamine levels are in the 100,000 mg level. It is particularly concentrated in the brain, skeletal muscles, stomach lining, lungs, heart, kidneys and liver.
Because of this critical distinction, glutamine is arguably the most important in the process of building muscle and gaining strength. Glutamine's best-known reputation in bodybuilding annals is its ability to preserve muscle tissue that is already built. Next to casein protein, the dominant protein found in cow's milk, glutamine is a good supplement to take before retiring in the evening.
Secondly, glutamine is a great immune system enhancer. The immune system is stressed after a rigorous workout. Supplementing with this product will help in terms of the recovery aspect between workouts.
4. Calcium-the role calcium plays in bone formation is well-known. However, it also has other crucial functions. Calcium plays essential roles in nerve conduction, transmission of nerve impulses, normal heart beat, increased membrane permeability and blood clotting. Calcium also functions as an enzyme cofactor.
For bodybuilders and athletic people, calcium serves a very important function in muscular control. It regulates muscle contraction. Inadequate calcium intake results in poor contraction and muscle tension. This may lead to cramping and other injuries.
5. Vitamin B-B vitamins are a group of water-soluble vitamins that help out in terms of cell metabolism. The list of B vitamins include Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B7, Vitamin B9 and Vitamin B12. Supplements containing all eight types are referred to as Vitamin B Complex. Most of them have to be replenished regularly as excess amounts are excreted in the form of urine.
In terms of bodybuilding benefits, B vitamins are necessary for the following:
-Support and increase metabolism rate
-Maintain healthy skin, hair and muscle tone
-Helps maintain high energy levels
For their endurance and protein synthesis benefits, BCAA supplements also help in the increase of metabolic recovery. This means that the recovery period between workouts is much faster. This results in faster size and strength gains.