Cardamom adds an aromatic flavour to the classic Apple French Toast recipe. As the old saying goes, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” The fruit is known for its vitamin C and as a good source of fibre, but the fruit has proved it’s more than just health food; It can also help keep you awake for hours because of the vitamins and natural glucose from apples, specifically in the skin, they are released slowly throughout the body making you feel more awake.
1. In small pot, combine apple slices and water; heat to simmer. Cover and cook apple slices until are tender but still retain their shape-about 8 minutes.
2. With slotted spoon remove apple slices and reserve. Combine apple juice, cornstarch, sugar (Splenda), and cardamom and whisk into apple juice in pot. Heat mixture to boiling and cook, stirring, until thickened and syrupy. Remove from heat and set aside while preparing French toast.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
4. In wide shallow bowl, combine eggs, butter and vanilla. Dip two bread slices in egg mixture to coat both sides;
5. Cook in a skillet until golden brown on both sides. Remove to serving plate. Repeat with remaining egg mixture and bread slices.
6. Arrange apple slices on top of French toast and drizzle with reserved syrup.
7. Serve immediately.