Valentine's Day is almost upon us once again. If you and your significant other are into the habit of exercising together, you can get a heap of benefits from doing so.
Here are 14 awesome benefits of working out as a couple:
1. Quality time together-as essential as making a living and exercising are, your quality time with your special someone may get compromised if you're not careful. Why not hit two birds with one stone by taking care of both your relationship and your bodies?
2. Great form of motivation-it's no secret that the lifestyle of one partner rubs off on the other, good or otherwise. This being said, if you are a fitness nut and your loved one isn't, maybe it's time to get him or into the act. Not only will he or she benefit from it from a physical standpoint, but so will your relationship from an emotional point-of-view as well.
3. Caring aspect-if you egg your partner to exercise with you, it shows you really care about his or her well-being which bodes well for both of you in the long run.
4. Stress relief-exercise flushes away toxins and de-stresses your body. The effect will even be more felt because of the extra motivation you experience from seeing your loved one getting fit.
5. Sharing of interests-this pertains to a sport or exercise routine one partner is particularly high on. Let's say the husband is a big tennis freak and he convinces his spouse to try the sport.
If the wife decides to give it a try, it can help solidify the relationship because acceptance makes the other person feel gratified. This is a two-way street, of course. The other spouse also has to be open to the other's fitness interests as well.
6. Better eating and sleeping habits-once both parties are into the habit of exercising together, sooner or later, an emphasis on better eating and sleeping habits will be prioritised. If both sides are neither eating nor sleeping properly, they will soon find out their efforts to get fit will all go to waste.
7. Inspiration-there's no better way to make others-your children and other people-get into the fitness act than setting the example yourself.
8. Bonding time-needless to say, working out together is great bonding time. Rather than just flopping on the couch, gorging on potato chips and piling on unwanted flab, make good use of your time by exercising together.
9. Teamwork-if you feel you are struggling in this regard as a couple, try working out together. You can spot for one another or time each other on a particular routine. This teamwork will eventually carry over into your other life aspects as well.
10. Listening-this is an important aspect in any relationship. Getting a good adrenaline rush whilst exercising will enable either partner to vent out and let off some emotional steam.
11. Prioritisation-life is all about priorities. If you exercise as a couple, you are prioritising your health and your relationship at the same time. Doing this on a consistent basis will also allow you to keep your other priorities in perspective.
12. Variety-consider exercising together as a way to make your dates more exciting. Going to the cinema every week can be monotonous, so staying fit as a couple should help break the monotony.
13. Argument management-every couple argues every now and then. Getting into a regular fitness routine such as playing tennis will be a good emotional release and keep unwanted arguments at bay.
14. Physical attraction-no one can deny that maintaining physical beauty will add a much-needed spark to your relationship. Exercising regularly will help ensure you maintain an attractive and youthful appearance which will delight your partner to no end.
To cap things off, if you haven't tried exercising as a couple, give it a shot. You have absolutely nothing to lose. In fact, once this becomes a habit, do not be surprised if both your health and relationship are in the best possible shape they have been in years.